Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Salad, Soup and Spin

Went to spin class tonight. It was the guy I dislike, as he makes you "jump" the whole class. Jumping is making you stand and sit while spinning, and it sucks. It's not so bad if you stay in the up or down position for 10 seconds or so at a time, but he makes you go up and down too fast. When my knees say no more, I usually tune him out and do my own thing. Unfortunately a major portion of his spin classes are focused on this "jump" routine of his. At the end of class I finally told him that I'm not lazy or being disrespectful, I just don't want to ruin my knees. Fortunately off the bike he is much friendlier, and said that that's fine. During class though he barks and yells the whole time.

When I got home I started the Butternut Squash Soup recipe my coworker gave me. While waiting for the squash to roast, I whipped up an amazing spinach pesto. I've never made it before, and I was nervous but figured it'd be easy. Grabbed a few fistfuls of spinach, chopped up two cloves garlic, threw in some fresh parsley and basil, added olive oil and creamed it in the food processor. Put it over some leftover pasta, and it was so good!

Finally, the Butternut Squash Soup came out good as well! I added cinnamon and "pumpkin pie" spice to the recipe, and it gave it the flavor I was looking for. I think next time I will do it a little more Asian and add coconut milk. I really got into squash soup when I went to Vietnam, I had two different pumpkin soups and they were both fantastic. Will post the Butternut Squash Soup recipe this week.

0 comments: