Friday, May 29, 2009

Friday Decompression

Lately I've been beginning my weekends by going to the gym after work. I go to the pool, swim 1000 yards, 2000 if I have it in me. It's so nice to swim at the gym, it's nowhere near as hectic as swim class. I'm able to clear my head and focus on my stroke. There's no one behind me or in front of me. It's my own pace and I don't force myself. I count my laps by repeating the number over and over. 3...3... elbows up... 3... 3... bring in those legs... 4... 4... and so on. It's meditative. Work is miles away, and I am completely present.

After my swim I hit the whirlpool if it's not disgusting. Then I rinse and go into the sauna and sweat it out for awhile. I stretch, I focus on what I want out of my training, I visualize my goals, and I stretch some more. I imagine toxins washing out of me, sweating them out. I read, which after awhile is the only way I can keep myself occupied to stay in long enough that I'm pouring out sweat. Then I shower again, and take my time getting ready and leaving.

It feels like a trip to the spa. It's awakening and calming at the same time. I leave in a good mood, and I smile for hours. My Friday solo swim sessions make me enjoy swimming. It doesn't feel like a "workout", but I think it's really beneficial. Sometimes it's better to go slow and focus on what your body is doing than push yourself just to say you logged those miles or cut down some seconds. It's so easy to get caught up in improving, when at the end of the day, the point is to be healthy and have fun.

1 comments:

Krista May 30, 2009 at 11:55 AM  

Sounds lovely. I wish I could find a pool that wasn't full of people...