Sunday, May 24, 2009

A Rambling Recap of this Week

So after last week's crappy Bloomin' Fail I thought it'd be smart to make this an easy week. Luckily it's a rest week according to my triathlon group's calendar as well. My legs are completely worn out. I'm having pain in my left tibia, just below the knee. Also every now and then I'll have knee pain that will cause me to limp on my right leg. Most recently I'm having pain on the top of my right foot, just before the ankle begins. All these pains come and go, so I'm not sure what to do!

I've been using the elliptical this week in hopes that it will give me the cardio I need while being low impact, thus saving my legs from more damage. I really need to buy a foam roller. I keep putting it off because they are usually way too expensive for what they are. It's a giant round piece of foam, don't charge me more than $10! I also keep saying I'm finally going to use the massage gift certificate I got for my birthday, LAST YEAR. Whoops. I need to start going more often than every other year!

Last week I left my favorite Speedo swimsuit, my goggles and my favorite swim cap at the Weston pool after swim class. Last time I did that I found everything in their lost and found area. Not so this time around. Lame! Well the Speedo suit was chaffing me badly under my right arm, so even though I loved the grey camo print on the sides, I guess it's for the best. My TYR suit is baggy as all hell. Not sure if it's weight loss or just worn out, it's about a year old. I went to Sports Authority and suits were 25% off. I got a Nike two piece, and even though I feel like a bit of a gym ho, it's so comfortable! The only issue is there's a lot of drag happening up top since I'm endowed like a pre-teen upstairs.

My old goggles were the cheapest ones on the rack last year. TYR's for $12. They gave me so many problems that I decided to pay the extra $4 for Speedo Women's Vanquisher Goggles. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! No leaks, no fog, more comfort! I still get a lot of redness and lines under my eyes, but it's nowhere near as bad as the old TYR's. I'm so pleased with this purchase! Also at Sports Authority I finally picked up a pull buoy. Last week I also got my Speedo Contoured Swim Paddles and I'm really happy with them too. The small fits great, even though my hands are pre-teen size as well. The only swim purchase left for me is a good pair of fins. Anyone out there have any recommendations?

Yesterday I went to the grocery store and spent double my usual amount. One reason is that I think I didn't go to the store last week. Another reason is I'm trying to avoid sugar as much as possible! I decided to buy more fruits and healthy snacks to keep me away from the cookies and candy available at work. Friday I was the only designer working, and they also decided to unleash a massive excel document full of website changes. I was busy throughout the day, and a co-worker decided to make things worse by telling me about changes from said excel doc like THEY found them! WTF. I almost exploded, but instead ate almost an entire package of Strawberry Mentos. After the Mentos, I decided the fresh maker is a tummy breaker. It was also the first Friday for icecream! (Yeah, um, my company has an icecream truck come every Friday of the summer and we get free icecream.) Did I get the Fruit Bar? No. Vanilla with sprinkles like an idiot. I was a moody, crashing, sugar-craving monster the rest of the day. My stomach hates me, and I don't think my gastritis is getting any better.

Friday's mess made me decide that I have to reevaluate my diet once again. I can't figure out what is going on with my stomach, but I think I really have to depend more on fresh fruits and veggies. I did splurge however and bought Tofurkey Oven Roasted Deli Slices. I usually stay away from processed fake meats, but this was an excellent purchase! The package says a serving size is 5 slices, I only used 3 for a sandwich. I had the deli slices, a slice of cheddar cheese, baby greens on an Arnold Whole Wheat sandwich thin, with hummus spread. Wow. I was floored, my first awesome vegetarian sandwich since January at 'sNice in NYC. I've tried other vegetarian deli slices before, but this is by far my favorite. I wouldn't make it a regular purchase, since they're expensive and processed, but when I really need to fulfill that sandwich fix I will definitely buy this again.

So that's this week in a nutshell. In other news I'm finally reading 'The China Study'. So far it's really interesting and really spurring my weird desire to study nutrition and be a nutritionist. I'm reading it quite critically and I'm not sure about some of his claims. Some of his claims are quite bold, and it's going to take more than one man's book to change my mind. Still I agree with a lot of his views, so if anything it's a great book for challenging my views on nutrition. Expect a full review when I'm done reading!

2 comments:

KatieLady May 26, 2009 at 2:55 PM  

Love the post, you are a very captivating writer...I've always wanted to do a triathlon, so I'm looking forward to following your blog! Try to find an inexpensive foam roller- I can't live without it, especially for my IT bands and other hard to stretch places. IT ROCKS!! Also, have you ever had your feet looked at? Your knee and tibia pain could stem from your feet... do you use orthotics, and how old are your shoes? There are a few things you can do to speed up the recovery process and prevent it from happening again.

keep writing, and let me know if I can help-

Maneesh May 26, 2009 at 8:24 PM  

That was a good read. So you actually have gastritis? That sucks. How long will that take to get over?