Monday, February 16, 2009

Determination, Perspiration, Preparation

"Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration."
- Thomas Alva Edison


As I was eating my dinner tonight, and thinking of what I needed to do before bed, I thought of this quote. When it comes to training though, I think it involves 60% Determination, 25% Perspiration and 15% Preparation. Fitting workouts into an already busy schedule is hard, let alone finding the time to eat right and sleep enough hours. I prepare A LOT. Part of it is in my neurotic nature, but it helps me save time and avoid being late for work or missing an hour or so of precious sleep.
My nightly ritual has been to prepare my lunch for the next day. My tiny Hello Kitty cups were an amazing find in Japan. They fit about two tablespoons of whatever condiment I need to bring with me. They are perfect for transporting nut butters, salad dressing, margarine or as I have been lately, spices to mix into my veggies. I also fill a small container with a handful of almonds, a great snack that helps control my hunger. Other snacks include a packet of instant oatmeal, an apple, dried fruit and Chobani yogurt with a small container of blueberries.
Getting my snacks and meal together for the next day lets me sleep in a little in the morning. I also set out my workout clothes and "work" clothes for the following day. I basically aim for thinking as little as possible in the morning. Being prepared however means I can usually be found carrying 2 to 3 bags at a time, which kind of makes me feel like a bit of a hobo. I always have my purse, my workout bag, and my lunch bag. I don't really mind though, because being prepared makes me stress out less, and ensures I can always fit in a workout.

0 comments: